National Park Centre
National Park Centre Thayatal-Podyjí
Wood and glass
Its construction was made possible thanks to funds from the fitness programme of the Region of Lower Austria with added financing from the European Fund for Regional Development (EFRD), subsidies from the Ministry of Environment as well as contributions from the municipality of Hardegg.
The interior rooms stand out with their brightness and transparency and offer a unique view on the surrounding landscape. It was built following ecological standards, using mainly environmentally friendly materials, heating with wood pellets and producing electricity through a photo-voltaic installation.
In our centre you will find:
- Information for visitors
- An exhibition on "Natur-Geschichten"
- Natural science laboratory
- A National Park Thayatal café-restaurant
- A National Park shop
- Rooms for events and seminars
- The National Park administration
- A postal service point
- barrier-free for physically obstructed persons
- An arena with benches and a BBQ area (with all connecting cables/plugs for outdoor events)
- Wildcats pen
- Adventure playground
- A car park with 50 spaces (two of which reserved for handicapped people)
- 4 bus parking spaces
- Bicycle racks
Download House Folder [PDF]
The National Park Centre is the first contact point for visitors who wish to learn more about the national park and the region. Experienced national park staff will be pleased to advise you and provide detailed and competent information on:
- Special features of the landscape of the Thayatal
- The diversity of flora and fauna in the Thayatal
- Offers for visitors
- Hiking opportunities
- Accommodation and restaurants in the national park region
- Attractive excursions within the national park region, in the Wein- and Waldviertel and in the neighboring Czech Republic
Opening hours of the National Park Centre:21. March - 30. Sept.: daily from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
1. October - 2. November: daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.